Populist Tapas

Small dishes to share: Populist Politics, Pop Culture, or whatever Pops into my head

Saturday, July 15, 2006

This blog, which is mine, is mine

So I'm finally starting this blog. It's not all set up yet, but I finally had to face the fact that if I waited until it looked like I want it to look, I was never going to actually start writing. So here it is, this blog that is mine.

My vision is that it will be a Whedonesque mixture of battles between good and evil, witty banter and true drama, sprinkled liberally with literary and pop-cultural references. It might wind up more of a schizophrenic mix of topics, filled with run on sentences, but a girl's got to aim high.

I'm hoping that if you have any thoughts about what you read here, you will comment , because as much as I love the sight of my own rambling, I love reading good online conversation even more.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura: I had no idea you were a Joss Whedon fan (I guess I didn't think about it, or I would have realized). No wit or banter, here, but I figured I could get the comment ball rolling.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Laura D said...

Big time Whedon fan here. I own all of the Buffy and Firefly/Serenity and some of Angel on DVD. I recently read that he's considering a big bollywood star, Priyanka Chopra, for the role of Wonder Woman in his new movie. Since I'm also a bollywood fan, this makes me very happy. Just another sign of how incredibly cool Joss is.

One of the non-political entries floating around in my brain will be an examination of why Whedon's shows inspire such obsession.

There will also be lot's of crossover entries in which I compare my political work and beliefs to the Jossverse (they are very connected in my brain).

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only have Season 1 Buffy on DVD. The rest are taped from F/X or the original broadcasts. When they took Buffy and Angel off, I was able to drop back to basic cable, as I watch very little now on. Although I rather like "Bones", and only partly because of David Boreanaz. I've been reading Kathy Reichs' books for years.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Laura D said...

Have you tried Veronica Mars? It's not Buffy, but it's the closest thing left on TV. Charisma Carpenter and Alison Hanigan both have reoccuring guest roles and Joss himself did a cameo. It was on UPN and will be on the new network that WB and UPN are merging into.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, since I'm saving $40/month on cable, I don't get much anymore. On the other hand, I have a good public library from whom I can check out DVDs. I just picked up a couple of episodes of Sharpe's Rifles from the PBS series - but it's been too hot to watch them.

8:18 AM  
Blogger A Progressive Alamedan said...

How funny to have the introduction to a political blog be so much about TV! :-)

I loved firefly - but I'd hate to equate us progressives with the browncoats ... they don't seem to be doing so well....

5:18 PM  
Blogger Laura D said...

It's not just a political blog. The disclaimer is right below the blog title: there will be pop culture.

Right now my life is about finding the ballance between politics and the rest of my life, and one of the things that has kept me going the past couple years was watching Buffy and Firefly.
And remember what Mal said about the Browncoats. "May have been the losing side, still not convinced it was the wrong one."

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home